Tuesday, March 17, 2009

saucy mittens

So a friend said "How can you be knitting a hat, isn't it out of season?" Pfff, is there a season for knitting?! Ridiculous, I knit with wool even in the hottest part of summer.

DSCF1991


So here is a pair of mittens that will apparently soon be out of season. I love them. They are nice and firm, like mittens should be. I modified a great pattern, Faux Felted Mittens, that is available from The Yarn Basket. Their pattern calls for two yarns held together to appear as though they have been felted, I held mine single. This is a great basic pattern that makes a very comfortable pair of mittens with a little thumb gusset.

The yarn is handspun by Weaverknits. Size 8 needles. Easy, fun, gorgeous, and ready for the next cold day.

7 comments:

myboringblog said...

I would say that I look forward to you being able to wear those lovely mittens but the truth is I hope it's a while before it's cold enough again to wear any winter accessories! :-)

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Oh I love that yarn. It's hardto get excited about mittens this time of year but those are quite womnderful.

Kim said...

Those are saucy mittens. While I yearn for warm weather, I'm momentarily sad that I may not get to wear the hat/mitts/sweater until next year. Doesn't stop me from wooling it up year round.

weaverknits said...

Oh my, these are just so perfect! I have some icelandic chunky weight wool spun up that's too itchy for a hat, and I think I'll make a pair just like yours...

I think knitting small woolly things in warmer weather, while appearing absurd, makes a lot of sense. Who wants a sweater on their lap, even a cotton sweater, when it's warm?

Deborah-- said...

I am smitten with those mittens! Great job and just think how lovely they will be to wear next winter season.

Paige said...

Very sweet mittens, and I really love that yarn. Yes, knitting is an all-season sport for sure!

Mary Beth said...

Knit what you like, whenever you like. That's my thing. I like to knit it all all the time. Nice mittens. They look lovely & warm.