Wednesday, April 14, 2010

bus knitting again

Crooked Paths hat in yellow yak

An embarrassment of riches it is to be able to go down to New York again I went down again last weekend, this time for a reunion with a group of my high school friends. We all squeezed into one hotel room, cozy!

Crooked Paths hat in yellow yak

On the Bolt Bus ride down and back I finished Crooked Paths hat, by Knitting School Dropout, with the crazy yellow yak yarn that I bought at School Products when I went down earlier this year. The pattern was great and clear, the yarn was weird stuff, six thread-like strands held together. Constructions details on Ravelry.

at Fuerza Bruta

After a day of wandering around lower Manhattan, we all went to see Fuerza Bruta. Combine loud club music, dancers, unusual stage props, performance art, and you might get close to describing this show. During one part of the show they lower a gigantic plastic sheet with water on it over the audience. The performers slither around and slide across the plastic, rather amazing. Loaded with sensuality and symbolism, it still seemed more fun than heavy handed.

winding yarn on the bus

Purl worked it's magic on me and I succumbed to several skeins of Alchemy Haiku while I was there. There was a lovely swatch of loose stockinette and it just looked so pretty, I thought it would make a delicious scarf. Turns out that Weaverknits Mom loved the same swatch and got a scarf just like it too (Rav link). I wound the yarn around my knees on the bus ride home, no mean feat because the mohair is so clingy.

utility pole numbers

The metal numbers on the utility pole are so alluring, I wish I had a whole pile of them to play with. I wonder if the utility company still uses them or are they incredibly old?

5 comments:

Oiyi said...

The hat looks great! Very nice color and it looks like it drapes well. I haven't been to School Product in years, but I use to work near there. I loved their mystery yarns and cashmere bargain bins.

Michelle said...

I really like that hat. I'm not a big fan of that style but I really like how yours turned out. Manhattan looks so fun and a trip to Purl too!

Paige said...

Sounds like a fun weekend, and I love the hat. I haven't knit a beret-type hat before, but have had my eye on some Ysolda patterns...

Jeanne said...

I really like the hat - what a great color and pattern!

Sounds like a fun weekend - I really need to check out these yarn stores...

weaverknits said...

I wonder how many skeins of Haiku that swatch at Purl sells. Great hat; I love that color.