Monday, May 3, 2010

the owl and the pussycat dress

The Owl and the Pussycat Dress

It's done!! I’m in lurve and feel a bit like Joan of Arc when I wear this, there’s something medieval about it. Despite the fact that it is covered with patterns and words, it really blends together well and doesn’t look freakish when I wear it (I hope!). I decided to go with dress length because I wanted to add more text and didn’t want it to end up around my hips or crotch. A-line and knee length is a good length for me. I was worried as I was knitting it that it would be too tight because I was aiming for 0 ease, but it loosened just enough with blocking.

The Owl and the Pussycat Dress

The whole thing is knit top down in the round with just little seams in the underarms. The only place I used size 3s was on the neckline, the rest was size 4s to the hip and then I switched to 5s for the skirt. The yarn is Reynolds Whiskey, which is surprisingly soft and light, and the colors are fantastic. I can't think of why this yarn ended up in the sale bin at my LYS. The gauge is 27 stitches/32 rows to 4” on 4s, and 24 stitches/31 rows to 4” on 5s, blocked. If you look carefully at the sleeve detail pic, you can see the join underneath it. Below is a sleeve and torso detail.

The Owl and the Pussycat DressThe Owl and the Pussycat Dress

The top yoke says “the • owl • and • the • pussycat • went • to • sea • in • a • beautiful ** ”, the hem line says “pea • green • boat • they • took • some • honey • and • plenty • of • money”. The text is from The Owl and the Pussycat by Edward Lear, full poem is here. It's my favorite nonsense poem and I have many fond memories of reading it to the kids, though I can recite it from memory now. Hem and yoke details below. Click on photos to go to flickr and see bigger versions.

The Owl and the Pussycat Dress

The design of the dress is my own, but all the patterns are from Anna Zilboorg's wonderful book of Turkish socks, Simply Socks. For the construction, I used Barbara Walker's Knitting from the Top as a guide. Both books are a must have.

The Owl and the Pussycat Dress

One last picture. I couldn't resist this photo of Beetle using her beagle bugle, that girl has some lungs. I've started Twittering. Why? Not sure exactly, Yarny Ol Kim keeps leading me further into the internet and it's always been worth it. Stop on by!

The Owl and the Pussycat Dress

23 comments:

jane said...

This dress is a masterpiece. It turned out just fabulous.

Michelle said...

A-MAZ-ING! Looks really good with those boots and quite comfortable to wear. Do you think you'd dare wear it to Rhinebeck or would you be afraid of being accosted and never making it to any booths?

Meganne Fabrega said...

Love it! I hope you wear it to pick up someday...

Andrea said...

FREAKING STUNNING!! I love it. The length, the text...everything is perfect. AND you look great in it!

Fran said...

Wow... this is absolutely beautiful! I just stumbled upon this dress - now I must go look at your other knitting.

Sayschnicklefritz said...

It's wonderful! Your call on the length was right on. It's so inspiring, both that you made a dress using size 4 needles, and that you designed it yourself. The boots are the purrfect accessory.

Hey is for horses. said...

Misa, what great pictures...you look fantastic. A woman in her prime....I love the second one especially.....I'm in awe of your talent. love, mrs. p

Kerry said...

What an incredible work of art! And it looks absolutely amazing on you. I hope you wear it often and with pride!

Kathy said...

That's fantastic, Misa. Stunning.

Oiyi said...

That is jaw dropping! Absolutely amazing! I am soooo impressed with you designing that dress and for knitting on such small needles. And I agree with the other commenter, you NEED to wear it Rhinebeck!

Bridget said...

Fabulous! I just cannot believe how perfect it looks, and how great you look wearing it.

I love Whiskey - as a matter of fact, I always tell people that I like knitting with Whiskey as much as I like drinking whiskey ...

That last shot looks like your pup is announcing to the world that the dress is now finished.

--ginger. said...

I am speechless. And I promise you that speechlessness never happens to me. Ever. What a lovely, wonderful dress. High five. Just great.

Paul W. Evans said...

You're still my hero!

Yvonne said...

Misa, you look effing amazing!!

Paige said...

First of all, I love the last photo of you and your pup; you oughta print it, frame it, and display it asap. And the dress? Wowza, it's amazing, and it looks GREAT on you. Sending virtual high-fives!

craftivore said...

Thank you to all of you for the wonderful comments!! Between the blog and Ravelry, this has been wonderful validation for the work. I am officially not allowed to scare myself out of knitting anything that pops into my mind after this.

As for wearing it to Rhinebeck... I must admit that I did always have it in the back of my mind as I was working on it.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Brava!! Everything about that dress came out just right, including how fabulous you look in it. Definitely a reminder to be fearless.

Deborah said...

Absolutely beautiful! This dress turned out just gorgeous and looks fantastic on you. Be very proud of your accomplishment here. Love ALL the photos. I bow down to your knitting talents.

crazylegs said...

WOWEEEEE! Beautiful!!!

Séverine (Cidrolin) said...

Oh I'm so glad you went for the dress length, it is beautiful and suits you perfectly. Felicidades.

Emma said...

Oh, wow. This is so amazing. The length, the colours, the patterns -- it's all amazing! you look fierce with those red boots.

Jeanne said...

I'm a little late on commenting on this but didn't want to skip it - this is an amazing piece! Wow - its just gorgeous - you should be so proud of yourself.

shamaree said...

Wow, and wow! And wow, wow, wow. That is beautiful, and looks gorgeous on you too. I love the red boots. Very sassy.