Tuesday, October 12, 2010

double knitting, drawing, Rhinebeck Bingo

double knit mohair

I've been slowly working on this scarf, and when I saw slowly I mean it, I can really only do about an inch of it at a time before taking a break. I've thought about quitting a number of times. The combination of the double knitting and Rowan Kid Silk Haze makes it really tedious. Double knitting creates a two layer, reversible fabric, where you're knitting both sides at the same time. It's like knitting a 1x1 rib with two colors. The toughest part was the cast on a first few rows and then it's easy to follow but all the knit and purl and the thin thin yarn is tiring. The fabric that it makes it luscious though and I think the end result will be gorgeous. The pattern is by Erica Schlueter from a hand out that she gave in a class that I took a couple of months ago. It's similar to a pattern (ravelry link) she designed that was published in Knit 1.

10072010

The drawing Friday flickr group is picking up steam, it's great to have some submissions. Come join us if you're feeling the drawing urge. Above is what I posted last Friday. There was an article in the NYTimes about a sculptor named Patrick Dougherty. He makes large hut-like sculptures out of sticks and twigs. This is an inset quote from the article. He seems like quite a character, nutty in a really nice way, and his work captivated me. Here's a link to his website: www.stickwork.net/installations.php

CerisaraThe Owl and the Pussycat Dress

The NY Sheep and Wool Festival in Rhinebeck is coming up this weekend and I'll be a square on Rhinebeck bingo, wheee! If you're looking for me I'll be wearing one of these two items on Saturday and Sunday though they may be somewhat covered if it's cold and rainy.

8 comments:

WhiteStone said...

A couple years back we viewed Patrick Dougherty's twiggy creation in Sioux City, Iowa. It was delightful and I do wish he would build one in my back yard. *smile*

Kim said...

Tedious indeed. But lovely. There's a pack of kids in our neighborhood who just roam around and they are outside playing in all weather/all times of day. We call them the feral children.

Sayschnicklefritz said...

I applaud your sticktoitivness. I would freak out, double knitting that scarf, but you will be rewarded in the end. It will be so pretty and cozy.

I haven't signed up for the bingo, but I hope to spot you on Saturday anyway.

Michelle said...

I can't wait until I see the dress in person! I can't imagine double knitting with mohair but the results will most likely be worth the effort.

weaverknits said...

Ha! I thought you wanted no more mohair, and now you're doing what amounts to two mohair scarves at once! That's just crazy!

I'll be at Rhinebeck wearing something from my book, but avoiding the big meet ups and such because they freak me out. Send me an email if you'd like to meet up!

Meganne Fabrega said...

Please don't even think about bad weather! It's my first Rhinebeck and it will be bee-yoo-tee-ful!

Oiyi said...

Hurray for Rhinebeck! Hope to meet you there.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Oh! I hope you'll pose for me on my backdrop at Rhinebeck in the Owl & Pussycat Dress , I have been wanting to see it from the very beginning. Nothing says knitter style more than a colorwork dress with Edward Lear words knit in. Looking forward to seeing you there!