Tuesday, October 19, 2010

rhinebeck or the hugfest

Columbus

The hugfest, otherwise known as The New York State Sheep and Wool Festival at Rhinebeck is over. I'm fully in recovery from the yarn fumes and all the good cheer. I met and re-met so many folks and was really terrible about taking pictures. What photos I did get are on flickr. Give me a good festival and my head goes out the window. Next year I'm going to wear a camera around my neck.

Ann Weaver (she sold me a copy of her new book in person!), Mary Jane Mucklestone, Ellen, Kim (why must you live so far away?), Deborah, Mary Beth, Yvonne, Steven Hot Pants, Gale Zucker (I got to pose for her!), Rebecca, Angela (she gave me my blog prize! Thank you, I'm a lucky winner of a nice book), Tomo, Karen, Adrian, Gaby, and countless others were among those I got to see. Please forgive me if I haven't added you to the list, my mind is a sieve. And of course, there is my awesome road trip pal and roommate Meganne. Why oh why didn't I get a picture of the two of us in front of the rundown Days Inn sprawled across the hood of the Camry Thelma and Louise style?

As for the fair itself, it was pretty much mobbed on Saturday. Anything we did involved waiting in lines, I definitely got sick of that. The "it" yarn seemed to be anything that Sanguine Gryphon was selling. They were selling their yarn in Elizabethan costume. I managed to score some Bugga, perhaps to make Ann Weaver's Albers Cowl. There didn't seem to be an "it" sweater this year. Perhaps the "it" garment was a slouchy cabled beret? Went to the Ravelry party but didn't stay long, that was also mobbed. It's a great place to see people though. Sunday was nicer since it was less crowded. Overall, the weather was fabulous, the people were smiling, the yarn was glorious, and Rhinebeck really is the highlight of my fibery year.

13 comments:

Steven A. said...

that dress. . .
i'll never recover!

Michelle said...

The Bugga was worth the wait though! I can't believe the crowds this year but at least most people were happy to be there. I wonder if it'll stay that crowded or it people will decide to skip next year. It's definitely an event of the year!

Yarny Days said...

I missed meeting you at Rhinebeck. We (Angela and I) were hanging out together--and when went to meet you, I guess I was in another booth! Hope you had a fun time!

craftivore said...

@Yarny Days Oh bummer, I'm sorry I missed you. That would have fully rounded out the NY blogger conference for me. Hopefully we'll have another chance to meet though.

Kim said...

It really was a hugfest! I wish I lived closer too. Rhinebeck is the highlight of my fibery year too. So much fun. And your dress! It's art, it's awesome.

Meganne Fabrega said...

Maybe a better photo would have been us in our cozies, knitting and trying to translate what they were saying on Jersey Shore!

Sayschnicklefritz said...

The New York contingent was ridiculously excited to see you! Thank you so much for encouraging me to attend. It was a fall highlight and seeing your dress in person was inspiring. Sorry if we made you semi-strip.

nicole said...

Sigh... I wish I could have been there! Glad you had such a good time!

Deborah said...

Yay for a fabulous Rhinebeck! It was so wonderful to see you and meet Meganne. LOVED the dress even if the photo of the 3 of us cropped it in a hilarious way. Can't wait to see you guys again!!!!

Oiyi said...

It was super fun. And I glad that we got to meet. Thank you for tipping us off on where the Sanguine Gryphon booth was. It was worth the wait in line.

Paige said...

I'm so glad you had a such fun, despite the mobs and lines. Gonna check out that yarn and your pics on Flickr now. (My jaw still drops to the ground whenever I see that dress of yours. Wowza!)

mary jane said...

It was a great time, I can't believe I missed those incredible pants you did take a picture of. Best was meeting you and other imaginary friends. You were the "it" girl in the "it" sweater-dress!

Ellen said...

I was going to say you were wearing the "it" sweater. But Mary Jane beat me to it. Next year there will be a million iterations (knock-offs). I'd put money on it.