Friday, November 5, 2010

traveling

travel knitting

I'm headed out of the country for 10 days and here is my pile of travel yarn. Mostly it's Bugga that I bought at Rhinebeck. Packing my knitting projects takes more thought than packing my clothes, there's the worry that I might run out of projects, egad. Plus I have make sure I have all the right needles and notions. Let's see how much I can make with six skeins of sock yarn in 10 days.

For reading I have The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson, recent winner of the Man Booker Prize, The Children's Book by A.S. Byatt, and Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver. All paperbacks and hefty enough to last a little while.

11042010

This is my latest submission to drawing Friday on flickr. Weaverknits Albers Cowl got me thinking about Josef Albers. Like the Mondrian drawing that I did, this is more adventures in the inconsistencies of the hand compared with the precision of the artwork that inspired it. I was looking at a gallery page of Josef Albers' series "Homage to the Square". Didn't use a ruler, but did sketch it out with pencil. Despite my best effort, everything tilts up to the right. Am I right handed or what? The scan might be a little off kilter too. Still, I like the little accidents, like the corners that don't quite meet and the watercolor bleeding into each other.

See you soon!

8 comments:

nicole said...

Have a wonderful trip. Hope you have lots of knitting and reading time, with such tempting treats.

Your drawing is charming, especially the upward tilt.

Oiyi said...

A great selection of yarn for your trip! I am still petting my Bugga. Have a great getaway.

Deborah said...

Have a safe and fantastic trip! I can't wait to see what your yarn grows up to be during your trip.

Shameka said...

Have a safe and enjoyable trip. Am I sensing a colorwork marathon going on with all that beautiful sock yarn? I can't wait to see what that yarn turns into.

Meganne Fabrega said...

We'll have to compare our Bugga projects when you return! More turkish delight please!

Mary Beth said...

Oh Bugga! I'm jealous on so many fronts. Nice yarn. Have a fab trip! Loved your homage to the square. Would make an artsy cool notecard set. :)

weaverknits said...

Love the little red-on-red repetitions in the squares, and the fact that you didn't use a ruler...

Please post your review of The Finkler Question. I've put off buying it in hard cover until I get feedback (though I will read it sooner or later, like every other Booker Prize winner).

Kim said...

The colors in that photo are amazing! Whenever I travel I also take much longer to choose & pack knitting projects. Enjoy your trip!