Saturday, January 22, 2011

blankie and blogiversary prize

strips and stripes

This blanket radiates heat, so cozy to snuggle under on the couch. A kind friend gave me a bag of gray Manos and I added colors to this improvisational blankie, using the gray as a unifying background. It's done for now, I’m thinking of adding a I-cord edge but have moved on to other projects. I may come back to the I-cord or maybe it’s fine just the way it is, what do you think?

strips and stripes

This is made up of scarf-like strips in garter stitch. I chose the colors as I pleased to make the stripes and then sewed the scarfy strips together. Almost all the yarn is Manos with the exception of the knubby orange which is some Leicester Longwool from Hopping Acres that I got at Rhinebeck and the whites which were odd bits that I had in the stash. Manos comes in almost 100 colors, I could buy them all.

strips and stripes

I tried taking a few pictures in our backyard which is buried under snow right now. That's right, the blanket is actually draped on a snow bank. This took a year to finish this mainly because it's kind of boring to knit. It’s a wild and wooly blanket, a bit primitive looking (might need a good blocking) but it sure is warm and the colors make me happy.

yarn to choose from...

Here are some yarns for the blogiversary prize winner to choose one skein from. These are all stash yarns that I'm a wee bit sad to let go. The yarns are (from left to right) Socks that Rock Lightweight in Crabby McHappypants, Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Rosehip, Noro Transitions #19 (very cool yarn made of wool, cashmere, alpaca, angora, camel, kid mohair, silk), and Decadent Fibers Marshmallow. You can still enter the blogiversary contest by leaving a comment here, the end time for comments will be January 27, 2011 and 7 pm EST.

34 comments:

Chris said...

That blanket is absolutely gorgeous!!! I really love it.

LEO said...

Oh the blanket is magnificent! It's lovely the way it is, but FWIW I think an i-cord border would be the perfect finishing touch.

Bridget said...

I really LOVE that blanket! And what a good way to use leftovers that come your way ...

Happy blogiversary!

Linda Brooks said...

Your blanket could not be more beautiful...and original. I want it. Linda

virginia said...

wow, the blanket is beautiful! I bet it's really warm!

barefootrooster said...

that blanket is absolutely stunning. and now i want one. i love the way those scarf strips look together! and happy blogiversary! i really enjoy your corner of the internet.

Lucette said...

I must mention again that I really like your garter stitch blanket. I have been working on an afghan for quite a while now and seeing yours all done up is so inspiring.

MaryjoO said...

Love the colors - definitely cheerful! And happy blogaversy too!

WhiteStone said...

Beautiful. I opt for the border, but it looks lovely as is. In fact, I was hoping the blanket was your blogiversary prize!!!!!!! However, I'd be happy to settle for a skein. lol

Mary Beth said...

Isn't this a surprise. I wasn't expecting this blanket to be done already. Well done. It looks so warm that the snow bank should have melted just being under it. Can I come test cuddle that blanket? LOL!

nicole said...

That is one of the nicest handknit blankets I've ever seen. I LOVE it!!! The mix of grey and the brighter colours is so dynamic! Fantastic!!!

Emma said...

Wow, the stripes look so cool! Great blanket, and thanks for the contest!

suchali said...

BRAVO!!!
This blanket is realy inviting to relax and enjoy time.
It is beautiful.

crazylegs said...

Love your blanket, looks so warm and cozy!

Michelle said...

The blanket looks really nice. We have some matching snow piles over here too. I like the garter but I can see how an i-cord border would add a nice finish. But only if it wouldn't drive you batty putting it on!

Kelli Simone said...

I love the blankie. I like its colors and rustic construction. I don't think it needs a border unless you wanna "glam" it up.

Mostly, I love that it was made with leftovers and gifted yarn. Great! ~ksp

Katinka said...

The blanket is gorgeous! :)

Kim said...

Beautiful gorgeous blanket. It makes me think of those Hudson Bay blankets with the stripes only yours is way better. I say enjoy it for awhile as is and if you feel like icord edge later, then do it.

Sarah said...

I am so glad you left me comment on Ravelry this morning so that I have found you, your glorious creations, and inspiring blog. Border or no border, the stash-busting blanket warms my heart/brings me smiles just by looking at it...make me so wanting to reach out and touch/feel. It's a subjective/personal taste...I typically like to add a finishing edge to my blanket/afghan--i-cord is my all-time favorite but so is lace, all depending on my mood. If I can't make up my mind, I leave it alone for a bit while I put it to use...then it will eventually speak to me what it wants.

Happy blogiversary and many more...

Sayschnicklefritz said...

I've said it before but it bears repesting: this blanket is so beautiful. It's both graphic and cozy, which I think can be difficult aesthetics to marry. An applied i-cord will be irritating to make, but I bet it will make you infinitely happy in the end.

Brava!

Laura said...

The blanket is beautiful! I love those colors together and it actually reminds me a bit of that STR yarn.

Happy Blogiversary!

-aprilshowers

Oiyi said...

That blanket is perfect! It's so beautiful. Mmm..it might be time for me to finish up my 2 wip blankets. Maybe.

Deborah said...

The blanket turned out gorgeous. You really focused yourself on it and finished it up very quickly. Happy Blogiversary!!!!

Kristy/Kristen said...

what fortitude on the blankie and here's my entry for the contest!

Harper said...

Love the blanket. You may have improvised the stripes but using the gray really does make for a unified whole. And happy blogaversary!

Peppy said...

I love your blanket, it's beautiful!

Alexis Layton said...

I commented on ravelry how much I love this blanket, and now I'm going to start one of my own! I'll be using my blanket as a tool for mindfulness meditation to help relieve stress. Thanks so much for the inspiration and idea.

Lolita Blahnik said...

The blanket is gorgeous!!!! love all these colors together!
Happy Blogiversary!

Sarah said...

Great blanket! Those colors work in such an interesting way!

Happy blogiversary! You're one of my favorites- keep the posts a-comin'.

Paige said...

What a fabulous blankie - I can only imagine how warm it is. Manos was one of my first "yarn loves." The colors are just so yummy.

Laura said...

I just found your blog today from ravelry.
I love your blanket.It is amazing!

Anonymous said...

Stunning!

Anonymous said...

Stunning!

Monika said...

That blanket is awesome!