A long overdue post. I drove up to the Spa with Michelle and had a wonderful time. She taught me how to crochet a granny square which I've been dying to learn how to do. I saw Ellen and Mary Jane which was bittersweet because I didn't find them until the end. Only going for the day seems rushed when everyone else looks like they've settled in to spin and knit for the weekend but I still consider myself lucky to be able to go and it was a good day. I bought a gnome project bag by Jessalu from Spunky Eclectic and one skein of yarn from Sereknity, I was the model of restraint and as usual the fiber fumes gave me total camnesia.
Meanwhile I finished a giant scarf/wrap/shawl and didn't have time to photo it because the kids have been on winter break and the Huz sick, but finally managed to take some pics this week.
Clan of the Cave Bear anyone? The Huz has dubbed this GUS, which stands for Giant Unusable Shawl. It is kind of unwieldy. I was planning on naming it Hudson after the blanket, not Jennifer or Kate, but I'm afraid Gus is sticking. He also says that in this photo I'm coming out of my lair after having hibernated knitting this thing all winter. Let me tell ya folks, the when-in-doubt-belt-it rule definitely worked in this case.
These photos were taken at the Audubon Center at the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary. This is a magical place, chickadees and nuthatches were actually landing on our hands to eat seeds. We saw tufted titmice and a woodpecker too. It was also colder than a witch's tit and I almost got frostbite posing for the pictures.
For the shawl I cast on 51 stitches with Thaki Montana, which is a bulky weight yarn and size 17 needles. The yarn is wonderfully light for a bulky weight, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and bought it with a gift certificate from my awesome MIL, thanks Roberta!! I considered all kinds of patterns to knit with it but decided to go with something very simple to show off the big juicy stitches and big, bold stripes like a Hudson Bay blanket. I did 8 rows of seed stitch at either end but none at the sides, wanting some curl. Turned out there was too much curl so I ended up running a crochet edge along the sides which minimized the curl. I almost wish I had knit something large enough to be a giant robe, with any luck I might look like this: