Saturday, March 5, 2011

GUS

A long overdue post. I drove up to the Spa with Michelle and had a wonderful time. She taught me how to crochet a granny square which I've been dying to learn how to do. I saw Ellen and Mary Jane which was bittersweet because I didn't find them until the end. Only going for the day seems rushed when everyone else looks like they've settled in to spin and knit for the weekend but I still consider myself lucky to be able to go and it was a good day. I bought a gnome project bag by Jessalu from Spunky Eclectic and one skein of yarn from Sereknity, I was the model of restraint and as usual the fiber fumes gave me total camnesia.

Meanwhile I finished a giant scarf/wrap/shawl and didn't have time to photo it because the kids have been on winter break and the Huz sick, but finally managed to take some pics this week.

when in doubt BELT IT

Clan of the Cave Bear anyone? The Huz has dubbed this GUS, which stands for Giant Unusable Shawl. It is kind of unwieldy. I was planning on naming it Hudson after the blanket, not Jennifer or Kate, but I'm afraid Gus is sticking. He also says that in this photo I'm coming out of my lair after having hibernated knitting this thing all winter. Let me tell ya folks, the when-in-doubt-belt-it rule definitely worked in this case.

GUS

These photos were taken at the Audubon Center at the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary. This is a magical place, chickadees and nuthatches were actually landing on our hands to eat seeds. We saw tufted titmice and a woodpecker too. It was also colder than a witch's tit and I almost got frostbite posing for the pictures.

chicka-dee-dee-dee

GUS

For the shawl I cast on 51 stitches with Thaki Montana, which is a bulky weight yarn and size 17 needles. The yarn is wonderfully light for a bulky weight, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it and bought it with a gift certificate from my awesome MIL, thanks Roberta!! I considered all kinds of patterns to knit with it but decided to go with something very simple to show off the big juicy stitches and big, bold stripes like a Hudson Bay blanket. I did 8 rows of seed stitch at either end but none at the sides, wanting some curl. Turned out there was too much curl so I ended up running a crochet edge along the sides which minimized the curl. I almost wish I had knit something large enough to be a giant robe, with any luck I might look like this:

14 comments:

Michelle said...

Spa was fun but I'm with you on wanting to stay a night next time. I heard that it might not be in Freeport next year. Gus looks cozy! Good thing you had it on that cold day.

Meganne Fabrega said...

For a GUS it looks great! Are you sure you didn't fly to Iceland for the pix?

Mary Beth said...

I LMAO at the last very unexpected final photo. I def love this wrap with a belt. It looks retro-mod and so flattering this way. great photo shoot and I love that the birds ctually land on your hands.

Mary Beth said...

BTW, my hubs and I want to know just who the heck is this very Dapper Dan? Bwhahaaaa!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

It totally works with the belt. Tres chic. Altho the emerging from hibernation in it concept is pretty funny.

Yvonne said...

OMG I just finished rereading Clan of the Cave Bear. Too damned funny!

Also, I love the fact that the birds were eating out of your hands! SO COOL!!

Oiyi said...

I love it! It looks so chic on you.

Kate said...

I actually think you look pretty chic. sort of Claire McCardell-esque...her draped knitwear stuff not the dolman/raglan sleeved shirtwaists :).

craftivore said...

The guy at the end (he's awesome, isn't he?) is from the Wikipedia page about Hudson Bay Blankets, I should have linked back to it. Apparently he is wearing a Capote, which was a coat that they used to make out of the blankets in the early days of fur trade.

craftivore said...

@Kate I love the Claire McCardell comparison, I can see the connection with the high belted waist. Maybe I needed some plaid too!

Kim said...

GUS is wonderful!
Woodpeckers & titmice, heh heh.

Sayschnicklefritz said...

What you've got there is a lovely ruana. I just learned that word today and will be using it ad nauseum. But truly, that's what you've made.

I read the Jean Auel books in grade and middle school when my mom would get them on sale at B. Dalton's. All I remember is shunning and cross-species sex acts. Ick.

Deborah said...

You make GUS look fabulous!!! Love it with the belt. Had a very nice laugh over the last photo. Hee hee.

Charlie said...

I LOVE how it looks belted - what a super photo shoot!