Thursday, March 31, 2011

Vagabond

Vagabond Fingerless Mitts

Vagabond Fingerless Mitts, pattern coming soon by me. This will be my first ever published pattern, whee. You may remember an earlier version of these mitts that I knit in the fall. They were made of Shetland type wool and the "sore" thumb was making the pattern spiral around the hand, which kind of bugged me.

chevron mitts

For the new version I redesigned it with a double thumb gusset, so that it has shaping above and below the thumb for a perfect fit, and the top and bottom patterns stay put. There are stripes on the palm and it is knit out of sock yarn.

Vagabond Fingerless Mitts

The hand chart comes from Turkish socks (from Kenan Ozbel's amazing Knitted Socks from Turkish Villages), the thumb gusset is based on Scandinavian mittens (I’ve never seen a double gusset before but I hear they exist), the cuff chart is a Fair Isle peerie, and the braid Latvian, a true global mashup.

Vagabond Fingerless MittsVagabond Fingerless Mitts

The one on the left is knit out of Sanguine Gryphon Bugga and are really lovely with the touch of cashmere. The ones on the right and the orange ones at the top are knit out of Madelinetosh tosh sock.

Vagabond Fingerless Mitts

A couple of friends and kindly offered to test knit these for me and I hope to have the pattern out soon. Thank you Michelle, Tomo, and Benedetta!

The lyrics to the T. Rex song Get it On are apparently not “Get it on, vagabond, get it on”, as I’ve thought for years. But I would like to think that glam rockers would wear these mitts. I leave you with T Rex, bang a gong, get it on, (vagabond).

18 comments:

Sayschnicklefritz said...

I really like these, both for their aesthetics and function, by which I mean that they are unisexual in their design, making them appropriate for many people. I also really dig their old-world vibe. Hoorah! Congratulations on your first pattern and I look forward to purchasing it.

Having come of age with the Power Station cover of that song, I've long known te lyric is "bang a gong". I also know that some like it hot, and some sweat when the heat is on.

Kim said...

Love these mitts. Everything about them pleases me to no end. Misheard lyrics are the best. Vagbonds, getting it on. At least that makes sense lyrics wise. Liam thought Sir Mixalot, "Baby Got Back" went: "I like big butts in a can on rye." Inspiration for your next pattern maybe?

craftivore said...

ROTFL! I can see it now... "Big butts in a can on rye, sweatin' when the heat is on!" Some kind of romper immediately popped to mind.

Susie said...

Really beautiful mitts. Congrats on them being your first published pattern!

torirot said...

I really like those, too! Well done!

Michelle said...

The two color ones look good. I'm not sure but I think I like them better than the three color which really surprises me! Can't wait to get mine started. Finished a sample this morning, started the second right after and it's all Vagabond by mid next week!

LEO said...

love!!

that's interesting about the sore thumb pulling on the pattern. I'm glad you were able to work it out so elegantly!

craftivore said...

Thanks Leo. The sore thumb would gradually spiral the pattern around the wrist and hand with wear. Many other fingerless mitts that I looked at had allover patterns so it probably isn't noticeable. It may also not be noticeable when the mitten is looser the way a more typical closed finger mitten might be. The double gusset put the thumb exatly where I like it and keeps the top from gaping.

doylestown dixie said...

Just beautiful. Want. :)

And by the way, my mother thought Gary Wright's Dream Weaver" was "trained beaver." True.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nn0L6055gs&feature=related

Ariane said...

Those are gorgeous!!

Deborah said...

Oh Misa I am so excited for you! Congrats on getting your first pattern out there for everyone to buy. I guess this mean I am going to have to practice my Fair Isle knitting for sure now. Love them!!!

nicole said...

Wow, I LOVE how these turned out!!! I can't believe this is your first pattern. Quite a stunner, and going in my queue for sure!

cauchy09 said...

your mitts are perfect! so lovely. congrats on finishing your first pattern!

Paige said...

Yes, congrats to you! I'll be one of your first customers for sure - they're awesome.

Mary Beth said...

You are about to become too famous for all of us lowly knitters. Congrats on the pattern. I started Selbu Modern the other night and discovered...colorwork is fun! thanks for the inspiration!

weaverknits said...

So many things I love about these, don't know where to start. Stripes on the palm. Braids. Orange pair. Double thumb gusset. DOUBLE THUMB GUSSET! How fabulous are you??? Can't wait for the pattern!

elementalfibers said...

They are brilliant. I love the strong graphic feel of these. Really looking forward to the pattern!

Oiyi said...

They are awesome! Congrats on getting your first pattern out! It's thrilling.