Sunday, January 15, 2012

blogiversary and other reflections

I never sit in this chair.

This is a nice chair to photograph things in but I almost never sit in it. Mostly I sit on the floor to knit while watching TV with my back resting against the couch. I think it's better for my posture and I'm hoping that sitting cross-legged will encourage my hips to loosen. If you look closely you can see bits of the guinea pigs' hay under the chair.
 
My fourth blogiversary was yesterday. Four years seems like a lifetime in some ways and a blink of an eye in others. In that time I've discovered the level of blogging that I'm comfortable with, which is once a week most of the time. I know that I'll never be one of those bloggers who posts everyday or even frequently or I would burn out and wouldn't blog anymore. I also found my voice, it isn't funny like I would like it to be, but more matter-of-fact and to the point. The way I write can't be forced it seems, it's just the way it is and I've come to accept that. If you want funny, great writing, I highly recommend Steven's blog, he'll make you laugh and cry. Though I do occasionally wonder why in the world I am blogging, I think I still have things to share that aren't covered by all the other social sites that I frequent and I have met many wonderful people through blogging. So, I will continue to blog and see where it takes me. Thank you all who take to time to stop by and leave a comment, you make it all worth while.

For the last couple of years I've had New Year's Resolutions lists and they've hung by my desk. In 2010 I did a great job of getting through them but last year I didn't do as well. Maybe this is why I've been hesitant to make a list for 2012. Here it is, mid-January, and I'm still wondering whether I should write one up. I actually did fairly well with my knitting resolutions but not quite as well with my professional and personal ones. What this has made me realize is that I need to cut myself some slack. The demands of parenting and family are actually greater than I tend think and particularly in the last year, with my husband's new job, a larger load came my way than I was used to. Parenting and partnering-wise I think I do a pretty darn good job, or at least the best that I can possibly do and it's something that I never pat myself on the back for, it is just the way it is. When I look back on my resolution list from last year and all the spots in which I didn't quite achieve what I wanted (I don't set hugely unrealistic goals, except for the "do the dishes every night" one), I need to remember that it wasn't a failure on my part and I need to celebrate all that I do every day.

 Last year's knitting resolutions:
1. Knit selectively, choose projects wisely. check. Though I reigned myself in so thoroughly on this that now I just want to knit something just for the hell of it, not because it's a learning experience.
2. Design a knit that has letters in it. not done. I wish I had, maybe this year.
3. Rework my fingerless chevron mitts pattern. check. see #5.
4. Knit myself a colorwork hat (I've knit several for others but not for myself). check. I knit Mary Jane's Castaway Tam.
5. Write up a pattern (I've slipped this one in the middle because frankly, I'm a little terrified) check, I published my Vagabond Mitts pattern last spring and it's done really well. It gave me new appreciation for how much work goes into writing up a pattern, I'm proud of having done it.
6. Take more photos. check. Not sure if I've taken more photos or just better ones, I got new lenses for my camera which are amazing.
7. Finish Manos blankie. check. This is the everyone's favorite couch blanket.

This year's knitting/creative resolutions:
Give myself the license to knit or make whatever I want because it gives me pleasure, and yes it's for me, it is my moment of zen and it is not selfish. Top of the list is a pullover for me. I have some light blue (The Square on the Hypotenuse) Sanguine Gryphon QED which I waited in line in Rhinebeck for TWO HOURS to buy and it has just been taunting me from my shelf since October. I'm not good at working on many projects at once and this yarn has been waiting since then for my other projects to be done. Other than that, I'm not going to plan ahead.

If you're still reading after all that, I hope this year brings you lots of time to do what gives you pleasure and the ability to appreciate it when it happens.

15 comments:

Meganne Fabrega said...

I always look forward to your posts! Reading about your knitting adventures brings me pleasure. Here's to patting ourselves on the back for a job well done, and being kind to ourselves (and others) in general.

sophanne said...

Happy blogiversary. Yes how the time does fly. My resolution? Do the best that I can most of the time and give myself and others a break regarding my expectations.

sophanne said...

Also-comment on blogs more. : )

Sayschnicklefritz said...

I don't comment nearly as often as I read, but know that I always find the blog engaging and inspiring. Happy blogiversary! And cheers to cutting yourself some slack. I struggle with that, also; too much wasted energy.

meg said...

This year I think it is important that I take risks with my creativity! And make sure that I have time to be creative, of course.

Happy Blogiversary! Hope you are around for many many more.

Michelle said...

Happy Blogiversary. Has it really been four years already??? Always enjoy savoring your posts and gorgeous knits. :-)

Chris said...

Happy blogiversary! I always look forward to your posts and inspiring projects. I completely agree about permitting yourself some zen.

Ellen Mason said...

Your work always inspires, and I appreciate your writing because I enjoy the opportunity to connect with you.

gab-fab said...

Happy four years!! I haven't hit four months yet on mine so it's interesting to hear you talk about finding your voice. I think I'd find mine a lot quicker if I could figure out how to spell it...

I learn so much from your posts but more than anything, I love how they look! So along with that voice, I admire your eye. Many happy returns!!

Kim said...

Happy bloggiversary! I enjoy reading your blog, your photos are awesome & I hope you keep at it for as long as it pleases you! You're my knitting guru. And let's all stop being so hard on ourselves.

Deborah-- said...

Happy Blogiversary Misa! I remember when you first set up this blog. I truly enjoy reading whatever it is you have for us. I am glad it's still around for me to visit! Here's to our 2012!

Mimi said...

Happy blogiversary! I thoroughly enjoy your blog and am very glad you've found the rhythm and tone that suit you. Looking forward to what you have in store for us this year!

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

I am so glad you blog. Your knitting, crafting, work and subjects (and Pinterest board, BTW) always inspire me.
What you show is definitely your voice too!

Angela said...

Happy Blogiversary, Misa! I think you did very well. I never make resolutions, but I always have a few goals in mind. My 1 goal this year is to slow down. Lol. Don't know if it's going to happen because I was already swamped before the new year started.

craftivore said...

Thanks all for the kind comments and sharing your goals for the coming year! I've been doing pretty well so far with trying to scale back the WANT in every kind of direction, takes the pressure off. I've tried to track back and comment on everyone's blog, please excuse me if I've missed you.

PS. I'm not sure Angela can slow down. ;-)