Tuesday, February 7, 2012

unraveling and knitting the other way

Mustered up the courage the unravel the bottom of vest

Finally got up the guts to unravel the bottom of the sweater. I picked up the row that I wanted to unravel to on my circulars and then cut away at the cast on edge and had to pick at the yarn quite a bit to will it to come away. I also cut the yarn away at the steek where it was crochet reinforced and left that chunky bit of yarny indigestion to be dealt with after I reinforced the new steek and cut it open.

Tarelkaz on flickr (I love getting knitting feedback all the way from Moscow!) suggested that I knit a new section, unravel the bottom, and then graft the new section on to the existing body. I thought this was a great idea and was tempted to do it but was worried that I wouldn't be able to keep the tension on my grafting row even enough. So I went with knitting in the other direction even though the stitches would be upside down.

knitting in the other direction

What happens when you pick up and knit in the other direction?

The white line in the middle of the circle is where I began knitting. Luckily this is a simple Fair Isle peerie where the fact that the stitches are going the other direction is not really noticeable except where you see the single line of light and dark stitches. Compare the pink and white line within the circle to the brown and white one just above it and you'll see the the pink V of the stitch is pointing in the other direction. The white line within the circle is where I started knitting down. The whole pattern also shifts over 1/2 a stitch, also not really noticeable but I did adjust for it.

With an more intricate or larger pattern the direction of the stitches changing might have been much more evident and then it might have made sense to try and graft a piece on.

It's harder to rip a sweater out than Weezer thinks.



Steven tagged me. I'm supposed to share a secret single behavior, a behavior that might be small, odd, funny, whatever, that gives me pleasure and that I wouldn't do with others around. With two kids, a menagerie of pets, and a husband I don't have a lot of alone time but when I do I watch B grade romantic comedies and knit. These are the kind of movies that I wouldn't wish on my family or friends, the kind of movie where she thinks she's bad but we know he's good, I'm yelling at the screen "Don't do it!" but they do it anyway, there's a horrible misunderstanding that is gleefully apparent to everyone and the outcome of the movie is obvious, they get together. Any John Cusack movie from the 80s or vintage Tarik Akan (famous Turkish movie star) flick will do.


6 comments:

Chris said...

Good for you! It takes guts to rip off the bottom like that but it looks great! I love that vest. (My secret 'time alone' movie is The Switch. I love Jason Bateman).

steven a. said...

i want to see the after picture when it's all done and on you.

ps great ssb
pps i am so jealous of your colorwork tension

Ellen Mason said...

Yarny indigestion looks like ramen. Brave woman, you are.

My secret pleasure is the fabric section of Mardens with no time restraints.

Allison said...

Looks great! Even with the circle you added, it still took me a minute to see where you started knitting the other way.

Oiyi said...

It looks great to me. Unless you pointed it out, I could not even notice it. My husband loves John Cusack 80's movies! He introduced me to them. :-)

Michelle said...

Looks great! Can't wait to see it finished. :-)