Monday, March 12, 2012

craftitude

Craftitude Vest by Kirsten Kapur

Finished this vest a couple of weeks ago but am finally getting around to posting it. The kids' winter break and a little traveling have put a dent in my blogging.

This is Craftitude Vest by Kirsten Kapur and can be found in a great little book called Craft Activism. In the book there are bios of interesting artists and crafty folks and the projects don't just include knitting, there is sewing, embroidery, recycling all kinds of materials to make cool stuff like a plastic bag skirt, check it out. The photos in the book are by the craftiest of photographers Gale Zucker.

Craftitude Vest by Kirsten Kapur

Craftitude is total comfort knitting with an interesting juicy cable up the front, worsted weight yarn and a great color, it doesn’t get better. I’ve been lusting after this vest since the book came out last fall and it seemed like the perfect way to relax after my Shuffle vest.

Craftitude Vest by Kirsten Kapur

Madelinetosh Tosh Vintage in Candlewick gave me 18 stitches and 28 rows on size 7s so I went down a size as I was aiming for 0" ease and knit the small. I knit it in the round from the bottom up to the armholes and then knit the tops of the front and back separately back and forth. The only other mod that I made was to add 8 stitches as I cast on for some more room for my bum. I worked the decreases every six rows instead of 8 (for a total number of the same rows). After the waistline I used all of the pattern’s own numbers.

I massacred row 25 of the first repeat of the cable pattern but realized much later and didn’t feel like going back to fix it, I don’t think it’s hugely noticeable. The yarn shows off the cables really nicely and I am totally in love with the color, the fit is very nice and I think I'll get tons of wear out of this one. I'm a bit curious to see how the Madelintosh will wear, it doesn't seem pilly at all yet. The pattern is wonderfully written, I highly recommend the pattern and the yarn.

12 comments:

Allison said...

What a beautiful vest! I love the color-it shows off the cables so well. It kind of makes me sad that I'm a blond and can't show off awesome yellow yarns like you can :)

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

WOW! You are the Craftitudiest- that looks awesome in that yarn and on you.Thanks for your kind words about the book. , we appreciate it.

joan said...

Craftitude was one of the names we considered for the book, and I think this sweater - and, boy, did you make a gorgeous version of it – exudes the fun of the DIY attitude. Thanks so much for showing it off!!

ws said...

That's nice! I really like the cables. You've done a fabulous job of it.

cauchy09 said...

oh, this is the sassiest vest ever! and i love that you just left that errant cable crossing (or non-crossing) in there.

also? i love love love your glasses.

Evelyn said...

You know, I don't have any vests in my wardrobe and I think you've just inspired me to knit one! Madtosh -- yum!

Kim said...

So stylish & in my favorite acidy/mustardy yellow. Love your new smarticles too!

weaverknits said...

Rocking the sweater vest. Fabulous.

equisetaceae said...

ha ha ha- I messed up one of my craftitude cables in the exact same way! Except mine was right across the bust and crazy noticeable. I had to re-knit.
http://kirstimadethiswithherhands.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/163/

I love the colour you chose and that yarn just makes those cables POP!

nicole said...

GREAT vest!!! You look so good in that colour.

Angela said...

This looks fabulous on you! Gorgeous.

Elizabeth said...

So beautiful! And I really love that color.