Monday, July 29, 2013
my Sonya dress, finished
My Sonya dress is finished. There is something very appealing about a uniform, a basic shift that you can wear anytime without any fuss and summer is the perfect time to make and wear one. This was about as easy as sewing can get and was a joy to make. Since I can't seem to stop myself from making things more complex, I cut out a bevy of three different size pockets, stitched them with an abstract design I made up with Sashiko thread, and sprinkled them on the dress. You can buy the pattern for the dress here. It is easy to follow and would suit a beginner garment sewer.
The linen was a natural color that I picked up at Joanne's while trying to beat the heat wave, and got dunked in the indigo vat when I went on my indigo bender. The linen was dipped in the bath twice and turned a nice medium blue, a bit darker than what you see here. It's been machine washed and dried and couldn't be easier to take care of. For the lining of the pockets and the bias binding at neckline, I used some batik that I had in my stash. The pockets are lined and then slip stitched on, they're more decorative really so I don't think strength matters that much. The seams are french seams which meant that I didn't even have to fuss with a serger.
I met Sonya Philip at Rhinebeck last year, she was one of my housemates. She flew out from SF for the fair and to see friends. There she is at Rhinebeck, above, cuddling a little sheepdog and wearing one of her signature dresses as well as half a dozen awesome knits. She challenged herself last year to make 100 dresses and documented it on her website 100 Acts of Sewing. She also made a point of teaching others how to sew the dress too. Her statement really nicely explains how empowering this simple process can be. She has gotten great press on it and the ease of making and wearing these dresses is very inspiring, I can just imagine her dresses breeding all over the world.