Thursday, December 12, 2013

mad river

Mad River


The pattern for Mad River, the hat that I've been knitting for what seems like eons, is finally published! It's available for purchase on Ravelry, where it's already getting some nice sales. A huge, big, thank you to Stacie who was the most incredible pattern editor and test knitter ever.



Mad River

Mad River is close fitting stranded hat with modern chevrons and a dramatic crown, with TWO brim options: corrugated rib or with a facing. Scroll down to see the version with the corrugated ribbing. I was inspired by Mad River, Vermont and its free spirited, wild people and actually started knitting my first version on the car drive out there. Can you see the mountains and the snowflake?

Mad River


The pattern is written for one size, to fit a small to medium adult head, 20-22”. (To adust the size, go down a needle for a child size large, or up a needle for an adult medium to large). The gauge is 32 stitches and 40 rows to 4 inches on size 1.5 US/2.5mm needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.

The full color chart is for five colors of Shetland fingering weight yarn. Samples are knit in Jamieson & Smith Shetland Heritage and the colors used in the chart are Auld Gold (gold), Flugga White (off-white), Madder (red), Peat (dark brown), and Indigo (bright blue), like the sample in the first and second picture. You will need one of each. If want to knit one like the red and white one on the right, you only need one skein of each. I'm crazy about Shetland Heritage because it's based on the colors found Fair Isle garments found in the Shetland Museum and Archives. Something about the simple colorways of those garments, that I've only ever seen pictures of, make my heart sing.

Any Shetland fingering weight yarn is a good substitute for Jamieson and Smith Shetland Heritage but please take time to check gauge as it is slightly lighter than most Shetland fingering yarn.

Mad River

After the holidays I'm going to try a slouchy version of this hat. My family has demanded that the madness of me continually knitting this same hat must stop. They're just shaking their heads at this point.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay slouchy! I look so much better in slouchy hats so I'll be on the lookout for that. This hat will make for some nice knitting time this holiday. Not that I need a hat here...

Diana said...

Wow, that's a pretty hat! I love the red and white one ... it would also look great in a delft blue and white. Brava!

Sandy said...

Such creativity! Awesome. I will check back with you often.

Jen said...

Beautiful !!! I just think it is right smart hat and can't wait to see all your versions of it ! Merry Christmas Misa x

craftivore said...

Thank you all!

Kirsten said...

Stunningly beautiful Misa! Then again we have learned to expect nothing less from you.

nicole said...

LOOOOOVE it!!!

Emily said...

I just found your blog and am so happy to have found you! What an incredible talent you are! I love your work. Its beautiful and prolific. Thank you for inspiring me!I found you while searching out info about Selbu and am working out the thumb gusset. Wish I had more knitters around here who do stranded knitting. I am in Mid- coast Maine.I'll check your blog regularly now. Thank you!!!!