Thursday, January 30, 2014

this is what happens when it's too long between posts



Three projects to share! First up is Starfish Cardigan by Amy Christoffers. This is a lovely, well-written pattern that I’ve long admired. I love the shape of the front and the welted sleeves. The starfish pattern is subtle but can easily be replaced with a cable or twisted stitch pattern if you want to increase the drama. Fit turned out great, really made no mods at all, it’s perfect the way it is.



The wool is Romney from Great Bay Woolworks, which is local to me, and is natural and dyed. It was calling to me at the farmers market this summer and I was really excited to use local, natural wool and love the color. The bummer is that it might just be too itchy to wear even with a long sleeve shirt underneath.



Next up, a Mad River for the Huz. He has a large head so I knit this on 3.0mm needles with Jameison and Smith Shetland Heritage, which turned out a titch larger than he would like. Ideal size would have been on 2.75mm needles. But, he wears it and enjoys it, a success. I can always shrink it a tiny bit if need be.



And another Mad River for a friend. Really, this whole design was in honor of her, since she was the one who introduced us to Mad River and a big part of her heart is always there. I couldn't not knit one for her. She loves green and has some pink attacks, so I added a little pink star at the top.

Jamieson's Shetland Sprindrift was the yarn on this one and it seemed like it was turning out bit bigger, so I cut out a few repeats of pattern before starting crown. She loves it and has been wearing it all the time and says that the wool doesn’t bother her at all.

7 comments:

Evelyn said...

Clearly, your silence on your blog meant you had more time to knit! What lovely projects.

Michelle said...

That sweater looks really comfortable. And I like the colors on the green hat. Making me think of adding a third color to my hat!

Chris said...

Lovely projects! Maybe the cardigan will soften up enough after a few soaks? The Briggs & Little I just used for a sweater did.

craftivore said...

Thanks @Evelyn ! There's always plenty of knitting happening, regardless of the blogging.

@Michelle Can't wait to see your hat. :)

Thanks @Chris ! I did give the cardi a good long soak, but only once. Perhaps I should try a few more times, thanks for the tip.

Meredith MC said...

You might also try a little hair conditioner in the rinse of your next soap. I've heard that helps with itchy wool too.

gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

All so lovely, I love when you show your FO's. I bet those hats are much appreciated in the last few weeks. One good thing about this winter, everyone is wearing their knits.

craftivore said...

@Meredith MC Thanks for the tip! That's a great idea, I'll give it a go.